Monday 7 November 2016

Ex-Machina Review

Ex-Machina is a psychological sci-fi thriller. It was Directed by Alex Garland who is a English novelist, screenwriter, film producer and director. A talented director was beneficial to the success of the film. The film was produced by two companies: DNA Films; this is one of the UK’s most successful production companies. Along with British television company Film 4 which is owned by channel 4.

I think the choice of cast was very successful and the actors played very good believable parts. Playing one of the leads (Caleb) was Domhnall Gleeson. He is a quite well known actor and has starred in films such as The Revenant, Star Wars: The force awakens and about time. Alicia Vikander is a well known Swedish actress. She won an academy award for supporting actress in The Danish Girl and also starred in Jason Bourne. The 3rd actor was Oscar Issacc who played the character Nathan. He has starred in Star Wars: The force awakens and X-men Apocalypse. The characters and actors who played them Is important to me and if I think the film was good or bad. I believe that Alicia who played Ava the robot, was very realistic and used her acting skills to demonstrate how a robot would work to adapt the human world.
The film raised some ethical issues such as can there really be such high artificial intelligence. Will there one day be robots created who interpret human emotion in ways to manipulate others and get what they really want. People may believe the whole idea of robots being created with human like features is very far fetched but this film raised debates about whether this could actually take place.

My opinion:                                                                                                                                               I think that the film was based on a very innovative idea. The film was quite easy to follow however some of the language used was very scientific which to me was quite confusing. I liked that there were only three main characters, I felt that this helped to connect to each character more and see them in more depth. This helped draw me in to the film and enjoy it more. It was interesting to see how the director and writers had planned out how the relationship with Caleb and Ava was going to be. They became very close which made me as the viewer think there is some kind of emotional connection between the two. Their was a very major plot twist at the end which I found quite shocking and did not expect it. Ava turned out to just be made to use human emotion and her sexuality to manipulate Caleb so she could be free and out in the real world. I think that this made the film more gripping as all of a sudden the film headed in a complete different direction.

Even though overall I thought the film was quite good there were a couple flaws. I think that their was no need or relevance to see Nathan dancing with one o the robots and this dragged out for a little to long. Also the scene consisting of the killing of Nathan was quite stretched out. This made the tension created in the audience slowly fade out because it got slightly boring. One problem I also noticed that I wasn’t to sure about was that Caleb changed the system in the building so when there was a  power cut the doors would open instead of lock. This meant Ava could escape but then Caleb was locked in but surely if this was the case the door would be unlocked for him also.


Overall considering it was a much lower budget film I think it was successful and I would watch it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment